Search This Blog

Why Networking fundamentals are your route to fun and profit.

By Hector Cisneros

If you are like me, you don't like to work real hard and get nothing in return. Yet at the same time, you know instinctively that doing the least amount will yield the smallest reward. I discovered that the phrase "least effort most gained" is actually an oxymoron long ago. However, I also discovered that if I wanted to network smarter not harder, I had to concentrate on doing very specific behaviors that produce the best results. Otherwise, I would find myself doing things right but not doing the right things.



In this article, I will teach you the most important things to concentrate when networking. I am talking about fundamental behaviors that will produce the most consistent results from your networking efforts day in and out. By engaging in these fundamental behaviors, you will produce the closest thing to “least effort most gained” and you will be making more money from referrals than ever before.
The first thing you need to create a detailed plan with measurable results and obtainable goal. For me, I make sure I start each year by setting aside some time to create my “word of mouth marketing plan. This plan will be set up with either quarterly or monthly campaigns and each period will have focused topic, with a focused message looking for a focused type of referral or business. I always make sure that I create smart goals and that I know what behaviors are needed to reach each goal. SMART is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely goals If your goals are not designed using SMART criteria you will probably not reach your goals.
Second, I use the calendar to create my word of mouth campaigns. I typically chose my subject by month, corporate dictate or calendar event, (like holidays). I make sure I have a focused subject for each period of my calendar. My subject starts with the question; “What kind of referral am I looking for this month?” Once I know what my focused subject is and what kind of referral I want, I sit down and create a very brief outline of my 60-second presentations for that month. It not very detailed but it does contain the theme for the campaign, specific referral I looking for, the number of presentations planned, number of referral desired and a sales amount. Once I create the first campaign, I move on to the next period/campaign etc….

Third, I make sure I am in a position to meet with my referral partners on a regular basis. I make it part of my word of mouth campaign to meet with a couple of partners every week. I put these meetings on my calendar and I make sure I contact my partners well in advance toset upp their appointments. These meeting are crucial to your leveraging your message. Your referral partners can and will go out and bring you referrals if you have a clear, focus and empowering message. It also assumes you are reciprocating and that you are bringing value to your partnership. Remember the law of reciprocity. Your referral partners will probably stop bringing your referral if you forget to take care of them.

Forth, I make sure I have all my networking tools in place. I create and practice my 60-second presentations. If I am scheduled to deliver 10-minute presentations or seminars, I create and practice them. When attending events, I make sure I have a list of specific prospects and referral partners that I want to meet. I always carry my business cards, my business card holder, (which has my partner’s business cards). I always bring a pen, a note pad and a positive attitude to all events. I always look to help my referral partners at these events by getting them referral. Doing this for them helps them to keep an eye out for my needs. This always works for me. Try it, I bet it will work for you too.

The fifth fundamental is to track your results and to make sure you are accountable to performing the behaviors that produce the result. Here I recommend creating a spreadsheet or log where you record the events, the dates, people you met, why you met, what your focused message was and the out come of each meeting was. At the end of each month, look at your total number of appointments, the number of face-to-face meeting you engaged in and what was your conversion rate. These three numbers will tell you a lot about how effective your efforts are. If any of your numbers are low, make sure you are being honest about the first four fundamentals.

The last fundamental to engage in is accountability. You need to make sure you are performing the right behaviors not just doing right. The best way to do this is to find an accountability partner who you will meet with at least once a month and to go your results. You may even be able to do this for each other. Either way being accountable to performing the needed behaviors and tracking your results is the only way you will succeed unless you are extremely lucky or heavenly blessed.

By creating a detailed plan that contains smart goals, scheduling meeting time with your referral partners, strategically choosing events to attend, taking time to practice and prepare, tracking your results and meeting with an accountability partner, you will be poised for success. Follow these fundamental and you will achieve the closest thing to least effort most gained. You will not only have spent your time wisely but you will also be handsomely rewarded for your efforts.

That my opinion, what yours.

Hector Cisneros is an entrepreneur/businessman with over 25 years experience, is a 17-year veteran of BNI, and was BNI Director for 6 years. Currently he manages 3 businesses, writes and coach's business people in the art of Word of Mouth marketing. He has several intl. published articles covering word of mouth marketing and how to improve your 60-second presentations. His new book "60 Seconds to Success" is aimed at helping business people make great first impressions and make more money through word of mouth marketing. To get a FREE PREVIEW of his book, 60 SECONDS TO SUCCESS", Sign up for his blog at http://networkersapprentice.blogspot.com/. Email us when you have signed up and he will send you the free preview. Friend us on face book at http://www.facebook.com/pages/60-Seconds-To-Success/182027141821361?v=wall To contact Hector write him at hecisneros@gmail.com
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for keeping the discussion going. If I can be of service let me know. Sincerely,

Hector Cisneros

Get your copy of 60 Seconds to Success

This book is not about a get rich quick scheme, its about how to be successful 60 seconds at a time.

You will learn how to use powerful words that compel and motivate people to action. You will learn my methodology on how to construct your messages so that your referral partners will be able to repeat and pass your message on for you.

You will also learn how to keep your message fresh so that your listeners will be compelled to hear your message, even after hearing it many times.

If this sounds interesting, read Dr. Ivan Misners testimonial. To check out the book, click on the link for the FREE pre-view copy.

Enjoy;

Mr. C.

My new Book

My new Book
60 Seconds to Success

Read the Testimonial

Read the Testimonial
Endorse by Dr. Ivan Misner and others